Friday, April 24, 2015

Dashing DogWood!


Two on my all time favorite states - One is my MotherState, AndhraPradesh(now Telangana) from India where I was born and raised, second is Noth Carolina(USA) my GodState - State I have spend most of my adulthood and plan to spend rest of life if my dream of retiring in India never fulfills.

"DogWood" - For those who never heard of this before.. this is a flower and what makes it even more special for me is that The Flowering Dogwood is the state flower of North Carolina.

The Dogwood tree species is one of the most attractive flowering trees in North America. If you inquire about Dogwood in a roomful of spring landscapers, the Dogwood will make every ones top ten lists, for various unique choices of flower color for the spring landscape and for unique form and stem and leaf color for summer and fall landscapes.

The Dogwood trees display two wonderful qualities. They are best known for their spring blooms, and they also provide fine fall foliage.

So this goes without saying that Dogwood is one of the flower I have invested my time and interest learning a lot about. Besides being my state flower, Dogwoods are one of my favorite ornamental trees, for their modest size and four-season appeal and its beautiful and showy flowers. Once you know some facts about dogwood trees, growing and nurturing these handsome trees is a breeze.

Flowering dogwoods range in color from white to pink or red and generally bloom for about two to four weeks in early spring. They also add summer and fall color, with rich green foliage color in summer and reddish purple leaves during fall. This is oftentimes followed by brilliant red berries in winter. Proper dogwood care will bring these lovely trees to their height of beauty.

Dogwoods are adaptable to several types of soils; however, they naturally grow in moist, fertile soils high in organic matter and that is one reason you see them survive very well in their natural habitat surrounded by dense woods.

I have planted some of Dogwoods ( pink and white) in my new place during last fall and they surprised me with the beautiful blooms this spring.... which I am so eager to share...


I love Pink Dogwood, for its Pretty Pink showy flowers..




As White/Green is my all time favorite combo, so white dogwood with green foliage is what my heart beats for ...... Though my white dogwood did not flower this spring, I did go around to capture this beauty in the landscape surrounding me...






Now I couldn't control myself from bringing some of these white beauties along with me as cut flowers and enjoy them ... Leaving you with some captures around my house with these beauties....













Signing off with this happy thought of spring flowers....Have a happy weekend and fresh and fantastic week ahead!


Images Source: All Images are taken by me and are property of Rangkatha. Don't User them without prior permission.

~Prasanna

6 comments:

  1. Hi Prasanna. I love your shots. This is such a beautiful tree. I have come across it in books but I never imagined it to be this gorgeous. It looks a bit like magnolia to me. Does dogwood have a sweet scent, too?
    Guess what I discovered on Saturday? A lady from Pakistan who can get charpoys made in Doha! Surreal coincidence. I don't have any place to keep one at home but I am so tempted after reading your chasing charpoys post:)
    Finally, here's a garden post...for you with love...http://artismoments.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-sandstorm.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arti! Magnolia is a bit elongated flowers in pink and wider flowers in pink compared to dogwood. Now that I think about it.. you are right , Magnolia comes in the same colors as dogwood :)
      Does this Lady ship charpoys.. :) So let me know if you did buy one after all...:)
      Thank you so much for the lovely post on your garden. I did go over it briefly and decided that was not doing justice to your post..
      I definitely needed a weekend to soak into it...

      Hugs~

      Delete
    2. I mean " Magnolia is wider flower in white and elongated flowers in pink"...:)

      Delete
  2. Wow very beautiful flowers prasanna and such a weird name..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Vasudha! This got its name from dagwood, from the use of the slender stems of very hard wood for making 'dags' (daggers, skewers).

      Delete